I completely adore John Legend, but if three of your friends have already used "All of Me" for their first dance song, you might want something different.
Here are twenty fresh, unexpected first dance songs that are as unique and diverse as Amber Marlow couples. To pull this list together, I scoured my own record collection; consulted Marley, my music nerd of a husband; and raided the Spotify playlists of my coolest friends. Then I listened to all of the lyrics closely to make sure none of them were sweetly singing about heartbreak, and finally, I test-danced them with Marley in our living room.
These were the best ones I've found.
1. Take the Word - Johnnyswim (I love these two!)
2. I Choose You - Sara Bareilles
3. Harvest Moon - Neil Young
4. The Promise - Tracy Chapman
5. Grow Old with You - Adam Sandler (my recommendation: have a talented friend perform it on ukulele)
6. She Keeps Me Warm - Mary Lambert (I very much prefer the piano version linked here to the more produced version)
7. X0 - Beyoncé
8. With Love - Elbow
9. Fire We Make - Alicia Keys featuring Maxwell
10. I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Ben Rector's cover is perfect for a first dance, but David Byrne's cover is a great uptempo version that I couldn't help but link to, as well.
11. Kawaipunahele - Keali'i Reichel
12. So Here We Are - Bloc Party
13. Never Give You Up - Raphael Saadiq, feat. Stevie Wonder and C.J. Hilton
14. No One's Gonna Love You - Cee Lo Green (while this is actually a Band of Horses song, this cover blew my mind when I first heard it.)
15. Beautiful - Meshell Ndegeocello (I can't hear this without crying! It might be a tad on the slow side, but it's just so stunning it deserved a place here.)
16. Mario Kart Love Song - Sam Hart
17. My Baby Just Cares for Me - Nina Simone
18. Cheek to Cheek - Tony Bennet and Lady GaGa (this version is so great!)
19. La La Love You - the Pixies
20. As - Stevie Wonder (if you need "something borrowed", this was my first dance song.)